This page showcases some of the work of CR producers with a disability in Australia. Enjoy!
Want to add your show to this list? Use our Contact form here.
- RPH Australia – “RPH Australia is the national peak body for the RPH Radio Reading Network. We champion the rights for all Australians to access published material.” http://www.rph.org.au/
- Vision Australia Radio – various stations in Vic, NSW and Adelaide. They offer a range of interesting and informative programs including readings from newspapers, magazines and books, interview and a bit of light entertainment as well. Listen to some of their podcasts here http://radio.visionaustralia.org/podcasts Find a Vision Australia Radio station near you here: http://radio.visionaustralia.org/our-networks
- Talking Tech – Vision Australia’s Senior Adaptive Technology Consultant David Woodbridge talks with Stephen Jolley about the latest from the tech world from a blindness and low vision perspective. http://www.talkingtech.podbean.com/
- Carly Findlay – appearance activist and podcaster: http://carlyfindlay.com.au/support-me/
New South Wales
- Making Airwaves – 89.7 Eastside and 2SER, Sydney, NSW. This show is an opportunity for people with an intellectual disability to learn radio presentation and production skills, creating their own radio show. Find out more about Making Airwaves and listen to them here.
- My voice, my abilities, my rights. Coffs Harbour CHYFM, NSW. “CHYFM, in partnership with the Law & Justice Foundation, the Community Radio Network, and the Community Broadcasting Foundation have created the ‘My Voice, My Ability, My Rights’ project that aims to improve the knowledge of young people with disabilities about their legal rights, their advocacy rights and educate them and their families about support networks available.” LISTEN to all the episodes here: http://chyfm.com/programs/voice-ability-rights/
- Access All Areas – 4RPH, Brisbane, QLD. A weekly show produced by Steve Richardson. The show is a disability issues program that takes the form of a 15-minute interview with people who have a disability or who work at disability-related organisations. Steve Richardson started presenting and producing Access All Areas in March 2008. Steve and many of the volunteers at 4RPH have a vision impairment. Go to download page on 4RPH website here.Read about the show in this report, Diversity in Action, by Melissa Giles (2010) here.
- InvincAbility – Phoenix Radio, Springfield , QLD. Produced in partnership with the Cerebral Palsy League, the show gives people with a disability the chance to be heard and discuss issues and topics important to them. http://phoenixradi2.wixsite.com/phoenixradio/programs
- Voiceability series – 4ZZZ, Brisbane. A series produced by the Ability Radio Project/4ZZZ for the Community Radio Network. Voiceability talks about the lives and interests of people with an intellectual impairment, in their own voices. The ARP was winner of the 2015 Tony Staley Award for excellence in broadcasting. Go to Soundcloud page here.
- People Of The Air – Zed Digital, Brisbane. A monthly radio show where people with intellectual disability conduct interviews on a range of topics. Activity of the Ability Radio Project and friends at WWILD and the Community Living Association in Brisbane. Zed Digital, 7pm first Tuesday of the month. Commenced in 2016. Go to Soundcloud page here.
- Only Human – 4ZZZ and Zed Digital, Brisbane. PWD supported to create live and prerecorded radio content. Covers a wide range of disability and social justice issues. Podcast too here: https://soundcloud.com/onlyhuman4zzz
- DARE (Disability Access Radio Express), Colac, VIC. “Our all-abilities team of DJ’s will make you smile with a new theme each week, featuring funky music related to the theme, jokes, poems, a healthy recipe, arts updates, the DARE footy rave, and a weather report all interspersed with disability news and information.” https://ocrfm.org.au/weekly-schedule/disability-news-information/dare-disability-access-radio-express
- Raising Our Voices – 3CR Melbourne, VIC. Produced and presented by people with disabilities covering issues such as housing, discrimination, difficulties with public transport, self-advocacy and other related issues. Presenters: Action for More Independence and Dignity in Accommodation, http://www.3cr.org.au/raisingourvoices
- The Boldness – 3CR Melbourne, VIC. Disability issues with the Boldness radio team, Phin and Raphael. http://www.3cr.org.au/boldness
- Small Talk – 3CR Melbourne, VIC. Local and international information on community and current affairs affecting short statured people. Presented by the Short Statured People of Australia (SSPA). Presenters:Short Statured People of Australia http://www.3cr.org.au/smalltalk
- Are you looking at me? – 3CR Melbourne. We’re Equal and different. Conversation, music, guests – All things inclusion and access. Hosted by Liz Wright, who has been a member of the Disability Reference Group at the Victorian Human Rights Commission. 4pm Thursdays. Listen to the show here http://www.3cr.org.au/areyoulookingatme
- Welcome to Our World! Disability Day – 3CR Melbourne. For International Day of People with Disability, 3CR celebrates with 12 hours of radio by, for and about people with disability. So Welcome to Our World! Disability is still a very different world, where many basic human rights are yet to be achieved – but it’s also a world of creativity, community, and passion for social justice. Search “disability” on 3CRs website to find all their Disability Day shows since 2011. http://www.3cr.org.au/search/node
- Absolutely Everybody – Joy 94.9 and Annecto, a social inclusion organisation in Melbourne that supports people with a disability. joy.org.au/ – Visit their Soundcloud here.
- RAISE THE PLATFORM – SYN Media, Melbourne. A platform for young people to advocate for, and share experiences of people with disabilities. http://syn.org.au/show/raise-the-platform/
- GO! Radio Show – SeymourFM. Presented by Goulburn Options Disability Services, music, requests and discussion weekly, noon, Wednesdays. http://www.seymourfm.com.au/
- Radioactive – 99.9 Voice FM Ballarat. A show about local and national DS news and music, run by a huge group of volunteers! Station: https://voicefm.com.au/index.php/programs/program-guide/ Facebook page for show: https://www.facebook.com/Radioactive-1943819432302305/
- Talking On The Moon – 3MDR 97.1fm Mountain District (Ferntree Gully, Upwey, Monbulk, Silvan, Gembrook, Pakenham, Beaconsfield, Belgrave, Emerald, Cockatoo) Wednesdays 1-2pm or via 3mdr.com 🙂
- RPH Tasmania – “We’re a community radio station that provides a reading and information service for people who find it difficult to access printed material. Hobart was the first RPH station in Australia. We began broadcasting in June 1982 and are now part of the Australia-wide RPH network. RPH provides access to a wide variety of printed publications and material covering a wide range of topics. Currently we broadcast over 90 different programs every week!”
- Jump up with Jesse – Harvey Community Radio 96.5FM. Jesse loves music. You can love it with him, 4 times a week on Harvey Community Radio http://harveycommunityradio.com.au/programs/view/jump-up-with-jesse
- Radio Seeds – WOW 100.5FM Adelaide. Women who have experienced the prision system, many of whom have been victims of trauma and violence. “Radio Seeds is a project of Seeds of Affinity Pathways for Women, a non profit, volunteer run community group that supports women to support each other upon their release from prison. We aim to support women in prison, and those who have recently left, and to educate the wider community about the issues faced by women with a criminalised history.” https://radioseeds.wordpress.com/
Disclaimer – a number of these shows use Soundcloud to distribute their content. Soundcloud has known issues for accessibility for people with vision impairment.
This page is constantly under revision 🙂